Alec Baldwin says he complies with cell phone search warrant
Following reports that actor Alec Baldwin’s cell phone had yet to be handed over to officials investigating the fatal shooting on the set of “Rust” – weeks after the granting of a search warrant – Mr Baldwin said on Saturday that any suggestion he was not complying with law enforcement was a “lie”.
Police in Santa Fe, New Mexico, obtained a search warrant over three weeks ago giving them access to information on Mr. Baldwin’s phone related to the October shooting, in which a The firearm with which Mr Baldwin was rehearsing fired live ammunition, killing the film’s cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, and injuring its director, Joel Souza.
Sheriff’s Office and Santa Fe County District Attorney Investigate How Live Bullet Entered Gun told the media electrical outlets this week that authorities did not yet have Mr Baldwin’s phone, prompting the actor to answer in a video posted on his Instagram page.
Filming himself from the driver’s seat of a parked car, Mr. Baldwin said the process of retrieving information from his phone “takes time” and involved authorities in New Mexico coordinating with authorities where he lives.
“Someone from another state can’t come and see you and say, ‘Give me your phone,’” Mr Baldwin said in the video, adding, “They have to specify what exactly they want. They can’t just go through your phone and take, you know, your pictures or your love letters to your wife or whatever.
What happened on the set of “Rust”
He added, with reference to the process and the mandate, “We’re 1000% to comply with all of this. “
According to an affidavit filed in the search warrant application, granted by a New Mexico judge on Dec. 16, Detective Alexandria Hancock asked Mr. Baldwin and his attorney on the day of the fatal shooting to hand over her phone, but he was told to get a warrant.
That month, Mr Baldwin’s attorney, Aaron Dyer, said they “proactively asked authorities for a warrant so that we could take action to protect Mr.’s family and personal information. . Baldwin which are clearly unrelated to the investigation. “
When the search warrant for Mr. Baldwin’s phone was granted, Santa Fe officials sought help from the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office in New York City, where Mr. Baldwin has a home. Paul Spinella, spokesperson for the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office, said the request had been forwarded to the county attorney’s office to “resolve the differences in laws” between the two states.
Juan Rios, spokesperson for the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office, said on Friday that once authorities received the results of the search warrant, they would be considered in the public domain.
In a television interview last month, Mr Baldwin fiercely insisted that he was not to blame in the fatal shooting of Ms Hutchins, 42, and said he had not pressed the trigger when practicing with the old-fashioned Colt revolver on the “Rust” set. He added that he did not cock the hammer with the rifle, but shot it as far as he could and let go in an action that could have triggered it.
For more than two months, detectives worked to figure out how live ammunition, which is usually not allowed, ended up on the film set and whether it could come from the supplier of blanks and dummy bullets for production.
“The best way – the only one – to honor the death of Halyna Hutchins is to find out the truth,” Mr Baldwin said in the Instagram video.